Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK getaway

Since it was a three-day weekend, Puppy and I decided to get out of Boston for the weekend. People probably expected us to seek out a more tropical climate like Florida or the Bahamas, but instead, we decided to celebrate our nation's civil rights with the First Family in Washington DC!

It actually was about 15 to 20 degrees warmer than in Boston, so it was a welcome change from the freezing cold blizzard conditions that have been common in Beantown. Upon arriving on Friday night, we headed out directly to the bars, where one bartender asked me where I'd been. Since I moved away in 2002? Is that what you mean? In any case, it felt nice to be recognized, even if I was charged full price for my drinks.

Saturday's plan was to enjoy a Mexican fiesta at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants in DC. I'd invited four friends, their husbands and babies to meet us for a rowdy, kid-friendly margarita session. Little did I know that it would be so difficult to organize around seven kids' schedules. Not being a parent, I guess I underestimated how unpredictable naptime can be! Only one friend, her husband and their twin boys showed up. It was very fun to see them, but sadly, I didn't get to see the other friends and their families. I guess it means I have to return to DC to visit them sometime in the future.

We spent Sunday walking and walking. We visited the stores in Georgetown, got Puppy a haircut and rested back at my friends' house. For dinner, we met up with some old friends of mine from the swim team and I realized quickly that the drama from nearly a decade ago still consumed their lives. Some people didn't want to sit next to others, there was complaining about the same old characters and similar concerns to those from the early '00s took up a lot of conversation.

In all, it was a nice visit. DC has changed significantly since I left and there are new neighborhoods where previously only gang territory existed before. It was fun to see those friends I could and it was nice to leave Boston for a bit. Would I ever consider moving back? Probably, but it would mean figuring out where to live all over again - my old neighborhood clearly isn't as cool as it used to be!

No comments: