Thursday, April 7, 2011

Schizo supper

Last night, I finally had the pleasure of meeting Puppy's former roommate, an older gentleman from Texas oil money who suffers from schizophrenia, cancer and imaginary diabetes. Accompanying him was his manfriend of several years, a fuzzy-haired fellow obsessed with conspiracy theories and a tendency to wear ladies undergarments.

We gathered for dinner at Fakey Saccharine and So So Deaf's home, where they and Puppy created a meal as an homage to the grand dinner parties that Puppy's former roommie used to host. Dinner was tasty and clearly is not helping any effort to maintain or shrink my waistline.

When Puppy's former roommate arrived, it looked like one of his eyes had closed shut. Upon a bit of prodding, we learned that this was due to "diabetes" and that it would return to normal in two weeks. On further prodding, we learned that he could, in fact, open this eye, but that he chose to close it in order to avoid seeing double. Fakey Saccharine retrieved a sleeping mask from his bedroom, which was quickly fashioned into an eyepatch - something that did not come off throughout the entire evening.

Dinner conversation was much more normal than I expected. I didn't witness any responses to auditory hallucinations or any building of structures from stones - two things that apparently have happened in the past during dinners with this couple.

I did, however, get involved in a trying conversation with the roommie's manfriend. He started talking about abolitionists and Martha Washington and Alaska. It was a lengthy ramble where he would begin a thought, only to let it trail off without reaching any point. From time to time, he would ask me if I was following, and to tell you the truth, I wasn't. And it was not for lack of trying! I was really giving it a good effort, but I simply could not follow. When no one came to help me out of this "conversation," I decided the rest of my night should be spent trying to avoid eye contact with this man.

1 comment:

our lady of perpetual stuff and nonsense said...

i would have paid an obscene amount of money to have been a fly on the wall for that dinner party.

woo, lordy...

love,
rachel