Monday, May 17, 2010

Out and about in Beantown

This past weekend felt like the first one where I simply lived my life without any special events, errands or chores to consider.

On Friday night, with Puppy gone in San Francisco, I met up with some of his friends at a downtown bar for some libations. We went to an event that occurs either weekly, monthly or semi-monthly (no one seemed to know the true frequency) and I think I got to experience Boston's bear and hipster scenes simultaneously! When I first arrived, it was all bears, but by the time I left, it was pretty much leaning toward hipster, with the requisite American Apparel uniforms and ironic-unironic facial hair.

Gerbil is in town visiting his parents, so we got to hang out on Saturday night, first going to dinner where he knew the owner (another SF transplant), then going to the bar for a few cocktails.

And yesterday was a lovely day for strolling along Newbury Street, doing some window shopping and a little bit of real shopping before a bunch of Puppy's friends came over for a delicious dinner.

I think the biggest takeaway for me was that it's more alarming than I expected to be in a new city not knowing many people. I'm used to going out and running into people, catching up with friends or at least recognizing faces. The anonymity is a bit disconcerting and I haven't been able to muster up the energy to try to make friends. I guess only time will tell if this will prove to be a problem or not!

No comments: