Friday, September 17, 2010

Paris rendez-vous

For our last night of vacation, Puppy and I crashed Charlotte York and her new husband's honeymoon! Just last week we figured out that our Parisian getaways would overlap, so we made plans to partake in French cuisine together.

We started the evening at a cafe, sampling a beer-based concoction that was very similar to what we had in Berlin a few days ago. This version, however, was much sweeter and I didn't even finish mine.

Then we headed around the corner to a small restaurant that Charlotte York's husband had read about - only it was a different restaurant under a completely different name. As we ordered our food, the waiter stopped me as I ordered my starter and wanted to be sure it was something I'd eat. He said it was a very "strange" dish and that I probably wouldn't like it. Being a fairly adventurous eater, I stuck to my guns and said I'd like to try it. He then rushed over to the kitchen and brought back a little dish of it - some very gristly meat in a mayonnaise-based sauce. It wasn't great, but I wasn't entirely repulsed by it. So, I ordered it anyway. The waiter also told us the wine we ordered wasn't very good, so he recommended another one that turned out to be quite nice. I guess you can't criticize him for being dishonest!

Instead of polishing off our meal with dessert at the restaurant, we headed to another brasserie for a nightcap and some sweets. Puppy inhaled a chocolate mousse, Charlotte York had a lovely belle helene and I enjoyed some tried-and-true profiteroles.

It's been quite a few months since we've all gotten together, so it was very nice to catch up. And now that Puppy and I don't live in San Francisco, these chances to get together really are few and far between. Luckily, we'll always have Paris!

No comments: