Friday, December 4, 2009

Things just stay the same

After my work event, I met up with some old friends at the DC swim team happy hour, hosted at the 18th and U Duplex Diner. When I walked in, it was like walking into a time warp.

More than seven years ago, when I left DC, this place was super busy, thanks to a new owner, a strong bar menu, comfort food and an attractive bartender or two. It was crazy packed, just like I remembered it and I fought my way to the bar to order myself a drink as I waited.

Much to my surprise, the bartender was one of the same bartenders who worked there when I left DC, and I think he was wearing a shirt that he owned back then as well. The swimmers and the runners (it was a co-hosted happy hour) didn't seem to mingle and the conversations I heard were all about the same topics that I avoided back in the day. Generally speaking, they were all talking about each other, team gossip and complaining about leadership.

It was strange at first, but then I embraced the situation and I found it strangely comforting to be back in a familiar space, running into some people I knew and slipping back into my friends' conversations at dinner nearby.

No comments: