Monday, December 14, 2009

Trading in Louboutins for Timberlands

What is it about nature and small towns that connote morals, values and soul?

For whatever reason (okay, Kristin Chenoweth and some men-folk), I scheduled my DVR to record 12 Men of Christmas, a Lifetime Movie Network original, a few weeks ago. And last night, I finally got around to watching (the beginning of) it.

The premise is not new. Kristin plays a tough-as-nails, crazy-ambitious, sophisticated executive of some sort in New York City. New York, as depicted in this movie, represents a lifestyle that affords you an unusually enormous kitchen, a spacious apartment, beautiful shoes and clothing, but a morally ambiguous fiance. It also represents spending Christmas alone on the couch, watching movies from a simpler time while eating a tub of Chinese food with one's dog. Clearly, New York means unhappiness.

Lo and behold! Kristin trades in her fast-paced lifestyle for a new career in a simple Montana town. It's a quaint town which - gasp! - doesn't have a Starbucks, Kinko's or Gap within a 10-mile radius! Kristin struggles to adapt, her six-inch heels sinking into the mud as she makes her way around a local bake sale in support of a search-and-rescue squad that's in dire need of money (although it has an abundance of handsome, well-physiqued men).

I haven't finished the movie, but I assume Kristin comes to appreciate a simpler lifestyle and finds love with the particularly handsome, but irascible gentleman on the search-and-rescue squad. I presume it's the same theme as Meet the Morgans, New in Town and a million other movies that have filled Lifetime's prime time schedule.

I get the appeal of this trope, but I question it's core premise: that you can't have a fulfilling lifestyle if you're a city-dweller. I'm obviously biased, but I do feel like I've made real, human connections in the city and I have a feeling I might go crazy if I were surrounded by the simple dolts these movies portray as native to small-town America.

In any case, it's great to see Anna Chlumsky getting work these days.

3 comments:

Panda!!!! said...

I love it! Of course, our heroine has a gay best friend who helps her land said high-powered husband through a magical makeover montage!

Gleemonex said...

BUT OF COURSE!!!!

room8J said...

I can't wait for your movie, you gays I mean guys!!