Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sydney walkabout

I remember now why I fell in love with Sydney when I last visited 4.5 years ago. Not only is it a beautiful, manageable city, the Australian people are so friendly and warm. Passing through for a mere 14 hours is simply not enough time.

Since I'm no longer a dance, dance, dance all night panda, I retired last night right after my work dinner commitments. So this morning, I was able to get up early, visit the hotel fitness center, eat a proper "breaky" and go for a stroll through the city.

I walked down to Circular Quay, enjoyed the views of Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, got myself a coffee, headed through the Botanic Gardens and wandered around Hyde Park, which hosted an interesting photography exhibition with gigantic photos on banners strung from trees. I meandered through the commercial district, walking through all the shops that were still closed on Sunday morning, and returned to my hotel.

After spending time in so many cities where walking is impossible (motorbikes, lack of sidewalks, unsafe conditions, families living in makeshift shacks on the sidewalks, dying children, poverty, sheep), it was nice being in a city where the infrastructure allowed a leisurely stroll. And fortunately for me, the rain let up as I stepped outside and I could enjoy a sunny Spring day. I need to plan a trip to return.

No comments: