Monday, February 21, 2011

T-shirt tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

Since I didn't have work today (Happy birthday, Mr. President!), it seemed like a good idea to go out on a Sunday night. Puppy and I met DJ Mother Nature and one of his Brazilian friends at the cabaret lounge act that DJ Mother Nature supports every week. It was the usual: bald man singing standards and making terrible jokes, us drinking beverages and giggling at the other patrons.

Fortunately, a "one time only" gay disco was happening upstairs, so DJ Mother Nature and I decided to check it out. It was my first "dance dance dance all night" type of event since moving to Boston, so I was interested to see what it would be like.

The space was pretty neat, and the DJ was one of my favorites, so I had high hopes. It quickly filled up, but one thing I noticed was that the clientele leaned more toward Jersey Shore reject than circuit queen. Maybe I've just been out of the scene for so long, but I really didn't expect to see so many horrible Affliction t-shirts!

The party's theme was "Miami" or something equally nonsensical, and there was a fat Samoan aerialist who was twisting and turning, while suspended from the ceiling on a piece of purple fabric. He reminded me of the homeless Samoan guy who hangs out on Castro Street in San Francisco - only this guy was wearing much less clothing. Not necessarily a good thing.

Other entertainment included four guys in ill-fitting wetsuits with electronic piping. I think it was supposed to reference TRON, but it just looked kind of looney.

Overall, the music was good and it was relatively easy to get drinks, so that was nice. I think I only saw one crazily wild-eyed nutjob, but all the gorilla juiceheads were too much! And strangely, only a handful of people took off their shirts, even when the dancefloor got crazy-crowded.

I decided to leave early because I got bored and didn't want to be stuck in the coat check line when it shut down, so maybe things took a turn for the better after I left at 1am, but I'm not so sure.

No comments: