Saturday, February 5, 2011

Why do you go by Mr. Rings?

Robyn's opening act was a tall, skinny blonde boy from Toronto with the stage name Diamond Rings. I'd recently read a favorable review of his music, but I didn't make the connection until he actually took the stage.

He put on a pretty good performance and has a surprisingly low voice for a kid who wore stretchy gold pants and blue eye shadow! Afterward, he stood by his merchandise table, waiting to engage fans and to sign posters. After the three or so people approached him, professed their admiration and took photos with the young man (including DJ Mother Nature), he just stood there by himself, so I figured I should talk to him.

Turns out his name is John and the Diamond Rings monicker has something to do with the Toronto Blue Jays. I asked him why he went by the name "Mr. Rings," which didn't seem to go over so well. And when he described an upcoming music video that features him in drag, gobbling a pizza, I suggested he should have been eating poutine.

After entertaining a few more of my ludicrous questions, he excused himself politely to "get a lamp" for his table. We thought he was just exiting the conversation, but minutes later, he did return with a lamp!

No comments: