Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tony/Tony, Michelle/Michelle, Cassie/Cadie

And here is the post where I admit that I've been watching the US version of Skins on MTV.

I'm still conflicted, mostly because I love the UK original so much. Whereas the original is engaging and effortless, the MTV version is interesting and forced. The US actors are not nearly as good as their UK peers and the storylines, although similar, diverge enough to keep me wondering what will happen next.

I'll admit it was pretty boring at first, but the "Cadie" episode drew me in. Maybe it's because Cadie is the parallel to Cassie, one of my favorite characters from the original, or maybe my standards have finally devolved far enough for me to enjoy it, but whatever the reason, I guess I'm hooked for the rest of the season.

It's also been kind of shocking to hear the kids say "shit" and "fuck" and to see bare bottoms on MTV. And I don't think I realized this was even going on until the second or third episode!

Hopefully, if this continues, it will be further refined, because a lesser version of Effy certainly won't be able to carry season 3.

No comments: