Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A session on my couch

Today I found myself in the odd position of comforting a co-worker who was basically told she needed to shape up or ship out. Our boss has put her on a performance improvement plan, and if she doesn't change the trajectory of her performance, she'll be out on the street, looking for work.

It's sad that she's in such a stressful position and I know that she's been working terribly hard to come up to speed. She's only been in the position for five months and our boss can be particularly demanding of her.

But it's strange to me that I've become her confidante in this matter since my boss has also asked me to report any signs of under-performance. I don't want to see my co-worker go since she's one of the few people with a personality in the area where I sit, but I also don't think she and our boss will ever find themselves in a healthy working relationship. I guess all I can do is sit, listen and try to offer some generic Dr. Phil-type advice.

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

I can see why someone would turn to you -- but I can also see the awkwardness of the position you're in. Can you actually help, like suggesting strategies or sharing knowledge, that kind of thing? Cause otherwise, generic comfort may be the best thing you can offer. And incidentally, the "underperformer" may find this is a blessing in disguise -- if the relationship is as spoiled as it sounds, a new gig might be just the thing to improve her outlook all around.

Panda!!!! said...

I did suggest strategies, but mostly just stared with an understanding, doe-eyed look. I would suggest that she find another gig, but I don't want to encourage anyone to jump into unemployment in this economy!