Friday, May 8, 2009

Franco-vile

May 5, 2009

Usually, I enjoy meeting French people because it provides me a chance to try my French and reminisce about my semester abroad in Paris. That being said, when I encounter a particularly whiny and annoying Frenchy, I’m really not that keen to spend more time with him or her.

Also staying at our lodge is a French woman who is checking out African safari lodges as part of her travel agent job (By the way, who works as a travel agent these days?). She doesn’t speak English very well and insists on not speaking French to me, even though I offered multiple times to make her life easier.

And since it became clear that Charlotte York and I are not a romantic couple, she somehow managed to snag a seat at our table for lunch and for dinner today, thereby annoying the crap out of us.

I feel bad for the poor woman because she’s traveling alone, but this is her job! Plus, she only asks questions about travel (What airline did you fly? What boutique hotels do you enjoy in San Francisco? How does this lodge compare to others you’ve stayed at?) or complains about the weight she’s gained on this trip (Well, I live by the beach – you know how it is.).

And tonight, she had the audacity to answer her cell phone while at our table and she lit up a cigarette after making a big deal about how she quit smoking … last night. Furthermore, she accidentally blew out our table’s candle, yet insisted on bothering another table for a lighter. And on top of everything else, she wore a turquoise scrunchy in her hair.

She basically drove Charlotte York and I back to our room as soon as we were done with dinner. I think it was pretty obvious that we both were having an excruciating dining experience, but we didn’t care.

No comments: