Wednesday, April 29, 2009

To market

This morning, Charlotte York and I took some time to walk along Long Street, one of Cape Town's main drags. It was clear that Long Street comes alive at night, with the bars and the restaurants along either side of the road and the heightened level of security roaming around.

In some ways, the buildings along the street reminded me of Bourbon Street in New Orleans - maybe it was the wrought iron balconies and the ubiquitous advertisements for alcohol. But it was also clear that this area is a destination for backpackers, studiers abroad and expats, so probably not the nighttime experience we're looking for.

We did spend several hours in the Pan-African Market, perusing the arts and crafts. I ended up purchasing several wooden figures, including a nice giraffe that may or may not make it back to my home. I feel good about the overall price I paid for my items, and I was able to bargain the dealer down approximately 500 rand, which led me to believe that it was way overpriced to begin with. I'm a little uneasy about the shipping and handling, so I'll be pleased if it ever arrives back in San Francisco!

No comments: