Thursday, April 9, 2009

Though his mind is not for rent

What is up with suburban American men and the band RUSH? Growing up in suburbia myself, I went through a phase in junior high/high school where all my friends "discovered" RUSH, blasted "Tom Sawyer" from their parents' cars and donned the band's t-shirts as a nod to the anti-establishment. I could merrily hum along, but I never really got past my brooding Morrissey phase to fully embrace RUSH.

The band also seems to play a pivotal role in Jason Segel's career. Last night, I went to see I Love You, Man with BoomKat and there was a scene where Jason Segel's and Paul Rudd's characters "jam out" to RUSH in a garage. For me, the scnee was eerily reminiscent of when Jason Segel's character rocks out on his basement, 40-piece drum kit on Freaks and Geeks, which I'm watching through Netflix.

There must be some sort of RUSH-lust gene that never made it into my DNA. Perhaps it was replaced by an unholy appreciation for Britney Spears.

Nevertheless, the movie was entertaining, but all these Judd Apatow-type flicks are starting to feel the same. BoomKat and I were much more interested in the splashy Star Trek preview and we not-so-secretly wished that the studio had surprised the seven moviegoers with a surprise sneak preview of Star Trek instead.

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

RUSH ... dude. My friend Lebowski fucking loves Rush, and Mr. Gleemonex ridicules him relentlessly for it. It's such horrible music, GOD!

BTW, that was one of my favorite scenes ever of F&G. Ever.

Anonymous said...

Ever thought it's because Rush is real music. While Ms. Spears is a corporate creation?