Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dinnertime duel

If you go to an authentic Chinese restaurant seeking good service, you'll be sorely disappointed. I know this from years and years of firsthand experience, where members of my extended family crowd around a circular table with a lazy susan atop it, rotating food choices around.

Last night, fifteen of my family members went to one such establishment, and somehow I ended up sitting at the end where the waiters and waitresses served food onto the lazy susan and where they removed used dishes from the wheel. One waitress in particular showed no regard for the fact that she kept forcing her way in-between people, often resulting in an elbow to the side of my cousin's head. At one point, she also bonked another cousin's head with a large soup bowl.

Usually, I oblige the waitstaff and lean out of their way whenever they come through, but after several rude intrusions, I decided to stand my ground. When the waitress came through to clear some dishes, she leaned in against me, but I refused to budge.

I'm a pretty big guy, so it wasn't too hard to stay upright, but then she took her hand and started pushing me away. Still, I remained steadfast and refused to relinquish my space. Finally, just as it was getting awkward, she eeked out a soft, "Excuse!" and I relented.

I made her say, "Excuse!" It was a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

No comments: