Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Witless wireless

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with our IT help desk, trying to figure out why my wireless card wasn't picking up any signals. For the past few weeks, I haven't been able to connect from work, from hotel rooms or from my home. It hasn't really been a problem, but it's sort of annoying to ask hotels for an internet cable in this day when most places have wireless available.

My friendly Latin help desk guy took control of my computer and ran through various diagnostics, trying to figure out what was broken. Finally, he directed me to look at the side of my laptop and alerted me to a little switch that apparently turns the wireless on and off! In my travels, it apparently had switched to the off position. I felt so dumb.

4 comments:

The Paralegal said...

i've done this same thing ... only, several times. i'll bet you're a panda who can at least learn from his mistakes; i'm just an old dog who can't learn a new trick!

Gleemonex said...

That is awesome. I've never done exactly that thing, but plenty of stuff just like it. Yaaaaay!

room8J said...

JAJAJA! My personal laptop is so poorly designed that the wireless on/off switch is a huge, easily thrown switch on the very front of the machine. Dumb!

Anonymous said...

This is why there will never be peace between Those Who Run Things and Those Who Keep Things Running.