Saturday, September 19, 2009

Greening the thumb

Because Lil' Sis' Panda!!!! and Cousin Steppynose were in town, I went down South to meet up with my siblings and cousins for a reunion lunch. It was only one of the things on my "to do" list, which also included getting my car's oil changed and a car wash.

After lunch, I was driving Cousin Lotus back up to the city when we stopped at a cute little nursery. I intended to buy one succulent to fill a bowl that I wanted to make into a planter, but ended up getting a whole bowl of succulents in addition to the one I wanted. Plus, after talking to an expert on edible plants, I was convinced that I needed to get a big planter of different lettuces and some herbs including thyme, rosemary, chives and sage. Furthermore, I felt compelled to get some mint because it was so fragrant.

So, now I have a shelf of different plants on my back deck. I'm excited to have some greenery, but I really wonder how long it will last, given my poor track record with plants.

No comments: