Monday, September 14, 2009

We can't all come and go by bubble

Puppy took me to see Wicked yesterday, which was a nice treat and a departure from our usual Sunday carousing. The matinee was packed with suburbanites, large women with bold prints and overflowing cleavage, teenage girls sporting Wicked t-shirts and clutching souvenir programs, boys dressed unhappily in their Sunday finest... It made me very glad to be a city-dweller.

The show was very good, and not remarkably different from the version I saw when it came to San Francisco six years ago in a pre-Broadway run. Despite a few show-stoppers, there aren't many (any?) songs that get immediately stuck in your head and insist that you buy the overpriced CD on your way out of the theater. But I'd bet if I were a younger panda from the suburbs, I'd have forced my parents to buy me both a t-shirt and a CD.

No comments: