Monday, April 19, 2010

Campus walking tour

It was a moderately rainy day in Boston yesterday, but I decided it would be nice to walk to visit Jillian and her delightful family in Cambridge yesterday. On my 35-minute trek, I went through three college areas and passed students who accurately reflected my stereotypes of each.

My home is situated near Northeastern's campus, with it's all-American, Bostonian types. But as I headed north, I found myself surrounded by the artsy-fartsy hipster population of Berklee College of Music. Finally, I crossed the Harvard Bridge and found myself amidst the smartypants technical students on MIT's campus.

Having attended undergrad at a university that's not situated in a city, I wonder what life would have been like in a college campus where "real people" would walk through. I think I prefer my own college experience where we were sequestered from reality and didn't have to deal with interlopers who were traversing the streets to see their friends across the river.

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

I always thought I had it perfectly right -- a real campus, with walls, but undeniably NYC. I was glad I hadn't pursued my dumb NYU idea, once I saw the random collection of scattered buildings that was their "campus."

Panda!!!! said...

Seriously. Is there an NYU campus?