Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lunch for two

My boss was kind enough to schedule a team lunch to belatedly celebrate my birthday today, but no one else was able to make it at the last minute. So, it was just me and my boss, having a nice Thai lunch.

We ordered tons of food, including a really nice pumpkin and chicken curry for me (I left half of it there - I was so full!) and a few appetizers (for only two people!). It was sort of strange just being with my boss and she took the opportunity to discuss how other people on the team are performing, which was uncomfortable. I don't think she should reveal her thoughts on others' job prospects and performance to me, but as long as she keeps telling me I'm doing a good job, I don't mind so much.

I kept trying to switch the subject (pets! travel! music! television!) and when it worked, we actually had a nice conversation. Inevitably, however, we always came back to the workplace and now I feel like I have to tiptoe around my teammates with a head full of private knowledge.

No comments: