Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The non-9-to-5ers

My workplace is very generous when it comes to the 4th of July. In addition to having Friday off for the holiday, we also had yesterday off to celebrate. And since my trip to Puerto Vallarta was cut short, thanks to nasty United Airlines, I had a day at home to run errands, while my fellow cubicle-jockeys were toiling away.

Visiting the supermarket during off-hours is always an interesting experience. I once stopped in during a Sunday night around midnight and saw a few drunk teenagers amid the aisles and this one frail woman who looked like death. Her skin was nearly translucent and she smeared on her red lipstick and eye liner in such a severe fashion that she looked like she had a mask on. She was totally out of it and I figured that she visits the store during off-hours because she'd scare little kids. I kind of felt sorry for her.

And yesterday, as I shopped the aisles, I came across a lady with a parrot on her shoulder! The parrot chirped along to the muzak and they went along their merry way. At one point, I heard screeching coming from one of the checkout lanes and I spotted the lady, sprinting to her bird, shouting, "I'm coming! I'm coming!"

Later in the day, as I was driving to the kitty hotel to pick up Stefano DiMera, a man walked in front of my car wearing baggy jeans, an ornate Ed Hardy hoodie and a clown mask. Just going along his business, crossing the street.

It's such a shame that my corporate life prevents me from interacting with more of these characters.

No comments: