Friday, July 17, 2009

View from the top

Sometimes, it's fun to play tourist in your own city. You discover things that people in Topeka, Kansas already know but have somehow remained a mystery during all your years as a snobbish local.

Yesterday, Charlotte York and I decided to visit the bar atop our local Marriott, The View, and we were impressed by, well, the view! It was a great location for a drink and to catch up and I may add it to the list of places to take out-of-towners (or at least places to direct them while I do boring things like go to work).

Earlier in the day, I interviewed a candidate for an open position in our department and it turned out to be one of Charlotte York's close friends! Once we made this connection, the interview was over. Out the window went my professionalism and I offered to connect her with other people who might have positions for which she would be much better suited.

So it turned out to be a good day of catch-up with Charlotte York, one where we could watch videos of our African travels while enjoying a pretty spectacular view of San Francisco.

No comments: