Wednesday, February 17, 2010

QC at the DC

This morning, I accompanied my boss to the company's distribution center - a huge warehouse that stretches for miles and through which all our merchandise flows. Having most recently been employed by a company that specializes in distribution logistics, DCs are familiar territory. Still, I'm always shocked at how vast and how utterly efficient they are.

I toured the facility with a Quality Control manager and she explained to me each step of the process, taking me around and showing me how the boxes of merchandise go along their merry way on conveyor belts. We also stopped to examine a line of product that had arrived earlier in the day: a bunch of pants that were mis-labeled. Had they gone to stores, our size 12 customers might have had heart attacks, thinking they'd suddenly packed on some serious weight.

No comments: