Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Snow day

After last week, when the weatherfolk predicted a doozy of a storm that never materialized, I didn't hold my breath when the local news promised a few inches of snow today. But to my surprise, I woke up to a pretty lovely snowfall and realized quickly that I have no idea how to drive in the snow.

Fortunately, it wasn't sticking yet this morning and I work approximately 0.1 miles from my temporary housing, so driving there wasn't an issue. But as I looked out my window throughout the day, I saw that it was snowing harder and harder. There was probably 4 or so inches on the ground by late afternoon and the plows were clearing the parking lots.

With the office situated on a lovely pond surrounded by trees, it was very pretty. But when I left work (At the regular time! No early dismissal like last week!), I realized what a pain it is. Brushing the stuff off your windows and mirrors. Letting the engine warm up. Squishing cold, wet socks in your shoes. Treading gingerly over the icy patches.

Again, fortunately, I had approximately 0.1 miles to travel home.

No comments: