Monday, February 8, 2010

Welcome, from human resources

Today was the first day of my new job. It also, apparently, was the first day of a "pilot" orientation program, which Human Resources cobbled together a few weeks ago.

Since I was the only new employee starting today, I spent the day in one-on-one meetings with a number of people in the company. Correction: I spent the day with a number of Human Resources employees in the company.

For whatever reason, a bunch of HR folks got together recently to revamp the orientation experience. They felt that new employees should be exposed to all aspects of the HR function, so that we all know who our contacts should be in HR management, health benefits, retirement benefits, talent management, etc.

So, I ended up spending hour after hour learning and re-learning the company's HR philosophy and being told how the different pieces of HR fit together. It was kind of tiresome and tiring because I constantly felt like I had to smile and act engaged. I was also really eager to just get settled in my office and figure out how to use my computer and phone!

The day ended up completely filled and I now know a lot about HR. Sadly, I have no idea where my nearest restroom is or where I should get pens. I think I have some feedback for the HR team.

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

OMG, how this made me laugh?

Gleemonex said...

I meant to put an exclamation point there.

Laugh!

not: laugh?