Monday, October 12, 2009

Celeb sighting: Biggest Loser

My company had a "town hall" event today where our CEO discussed the state of the business, tried to reassure all of us that we're innovating and beating our competition and generally tried to "communicate" to his masses of employees. Seated directly in front of me at the packed hotel ballroom was a fellow in a suit, who seemed to be getting much attention from nearby employees. I didn't recognize him as anyone significant, but it was clear that he wasn't an employee and he was causing a buzz.

It turns out, this guy won The Biggest Loser one season and his name is Bill Germanakos (Our CEO called him "Bill G." because I'm sure he wasn't familiar with his "fame."). He was present at our meeting to help employees understand the importance of good fitness and nutrition - in an obvious effort to curb healthcare-related costs.

After the meeting, there was a line of employees, waiting to get his autographed photo and eagerly listening to his story of "inspiring" weight loss. I think if I were on a show where I was sequestered for several weeks, focusing on eating less and working out more, I too could lose a billion pounds. Ooh! I sound bitter...

No comments: