Friday, October 16, 2009

Stepping out

My company partnered with the American Diabetes Association to sponsor its inaugural Step Out Walk in San Francisco. And because mine is the department that organizes such community-related events, I had the great pleasure of going early to set up.

There was a lot of rah-rah, and a 7-year-old diabetic got up to tug at our heartstrings, then we walked along the Embarcadero for a while, turned around, returned to Justin Herman Plaza and ate our free lunches. Somehow, I got stuck walking back with our EVP of HR and had to talk to him about all my work and whether or not I was happy to have joined the company and serious stuff like that. Meanwhile, everyone else was just walking along merrily, having fun with their friends, screaming and making noise with plastic clappy things.

But overall, it was a beautiful day and I think we had nearly 600 walkers in total. People seemed to appreciate the event (or at least the chance to leave the office) and I'm sure the American Diabetes Association appreciated the cash-money.

No comments: