Sunday, March 7, 2010

Claypot cuisine

One of the things I most look forward to when visiting Hong Kong is the food! This city has some of the most amazing food in the world, and you can be sure to get an outstanding meal, no matter what your budget.

After landing yesterday, I met up with Cousin Steppynose and her boyfriend for a little dinner. To tell the truth, I was not hungry at all, since I had been eating constantly on my flight over here, but I was looking forward to seeing them and forcing myself to stay awake to ward off jet lag.

They took me to a little restaurant that serves different varieties of claypot rice, in a no-frills environment. It apparently is a restaurant that was featured on Anthony Bourdain's show No Reservations, and promised an authentic Hong Kong dining experience.

We were seated at a comunal table under blinding fluorescent lights in a bare-bones room whose decor could be described as "high-school cafeteria chic." Well, "chic" would have been pushing it. There were faded sheets of paper with scribbled chinese characters taped to all the walls, a whiteboard that announced what appeared to be daily specials and row after row of customer, hunched over his/her meal, devouring dinner.

The restaurant didn't serve up anything unnecessary, including napkins or water, but we were able to get a very good meal for less than US$10 total!

No comments: