Monday, March 8, 2010

Doling out advice

In need of some Hong Kong dollars, I withdrew some cash from an ATM yesterday. After putting in my card, entering my pin and requesting an amount of money, the screen asked "Do you want a free coupon?"

I contemplated this question for a second. Was this a poor translation of something else? What type of coupon would it give me? Hastily, I pressed the "NO" button, figuring it would be better to just decline anything.

And as it processed my request and spat out cash, the screen said, "Please take advice" as the slot for my receipt lit up. Does advice mean receipt? If so, why does everyone else use the word "receipt"?

If I go back, I should accept the free coupon offer.

1 comment:

Gleemonex said...

Remind me to tell you sometime about how the Hello Kitty thing at FAO Scwarz threatened me that time ...