Monday, March 15, 2010

My fellow travelers

For the past week, I've had many meals alone at my hotel and this has provided me the opportunity for some great people watching. There are a few people I keep seeing and others whom I notice once and never see again. Here are a few characters I've been observing:

Apparel Merchants - There's a group of cute, twenty-something women who meet at the breakfast buffet each morning around the time I'm there. Their conversations (and outfits) lead me to believe they're in town meeting with their sourcing agent on behalf of an American apparel company. They're very stylish, highly accessorized, typically American and clearly here for work.

Chinese Honeymooners - I had dinner next to a couple who seemed to be here for a honeymoon or something similar. They spoke Mandarin, displayed all the trappings of new money and were way into PDA.

Eastern European Vacationers - This morning I sat next to an older couple who seemed to be from Eastern Europe. The lady hummed throughout breakfast. Even when her husband was seated across from her and talking.

Aussie Businessmen - I think this trio also is in the apparel business. It's clear they're here together for work, because it's a mis-matched group. One is an older, portly gentleman, another is a relatively conservative fellow in his thirties and the last sports extremely gelled hair. Two days in a row, he wore a black tank top under a sheer long-sleeved white shirt with black pants adorned with beading.

The American VIP with Her Chinese Business Hosts - One night I sat next to a table of three: two Chinese people and an American woman in her fifties. The woman went on and on about how she had sun poisoning as a silly college youth and now cannot go outside for very long. The Chinese couple clearly were trying to humor her, but it was clear to me that they tired of her company. She reminded me a lot of my realtor.

Another Fashion Buyer - Even though it's plenty hot in Hong Kong, one tall, skinny man felt the need to wrap a very long, very flowy scarf around his neck.

Miss Hot Stuff - This one British lady wore killer heels and sported a hot handbag. She ate a small bowl of fruit and spent her entire breakfast on her BlackBerry.

I'm going to miss seeing all these people and making up stories about their lives when I leave tomorrow.

1 comment:

azaleania said...

I love to read how you transform your feeling to a words..I eager to read more and more your olders post.Since you been travel a lots,nice to read and laugh about the people you meet on your way.
Its witty and humor..I never enjoyed read a blog page than yours.