Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Celeb sighting: The HEAT is on

Pop culture references, trivia and nonsense tend to seep into my brain and get lodged there for decades. For example, I can sing all the words to "Toy Soldiers" by Martika. I even know who Martika is. I also know that Martika was a talent who wrote the song "Toy Soldiers" when she was a teenager and that the chorus of back-up singers on the track included Fergie and Jennifer Love Hewitt.

There is, however, a huge slice of pop culture pie that remains completely elusive to me, and that is the world of sports celebrities. Sure, I can name an NFL quarterback or two (especially if they're dating Jessica Simpson or Gisele Bundchen) and I've been known to recognize those NBA stars who decide to release an ill-advised rap song or star in a movie with animated characters. But for the most part, I am oblivious to this world of superstardom.

On Sunday, my lack of sports knowledge was painfully obvious when three members of the Miami HEAT were working out in my gym. I could tell that they were members of the HEAT because they all wore Miami HEAT gear. And they were giants. And they had a coach (also wearing Miami HEAT apparel) who was putting them through the paces.

And to me, a panda who loves to spot and stalk celebrities, I just had to find out who these athletes were, especially since a group of fans and paparazzi had assembled at the gym's exit by the time I finished my workout (which was admittedly cut short by intimidation and the previous night's alcohol consumption). So, I dutifully checked the HEAT roster and realized that I was working out alongside Michael Beasley, Chris Quinn and someone else who may or may not have been Mark Blount.

Not nearly as exciting as spotting Lauren Conrad, Whitney Port and Audrina Patridge at the gym.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I could have identified Michael Beasley for you, but the others are kind of scrubs. Now, if you had seen Dwyane Wade, that would have been something!