Saturday, December 13, 2008

Plus one

Last night Puppy took me to the Law-Mart holiday party at the Mark Hopkins Hotel on Nob Hill. It was a brisk evening and I was attired on the dressier side of casual (I was warned that some party-goers would be in black tie.) as we ascended the hill in a San Francisco cable car!

It was a nice affair, with a very tasty spread of food. Sadly, however, the room had only two bars, each of which sprouted a tremendous line and one of which was staffed by a lady who seemed to take tiny naps as she poured drinks, making the process unbearably slow.

I enjoyed meeting all the attorneys about whom I'd heard so much, including the attorney whose neighbor appeared in her bedroom while she was sleeping one night, the awkward partner who seemed quite eager to meet me and the project assistant whose assistance seems to complicate each task she's assigned.

I can't remember the last time I was someone's plus one at a work party, but it was kind of fun to be excused from the small talk and to continue heading to the buffet line or bar without feeling judged by co-workers.

3 comments:

Gleemonex said...

Law-Mart must be doing well indeed -- the office roommates and I were just discussing how nobody's company allows plus-ones anymore, not like back in the day, when you could do like plus-eight -- the boom was fun, wasn't it?

Panda!!!! said...

Sadly, I totally missed the boom, being in DC and all. Shucks.

Anonymous said...

christmas 1999: we rode through the streets in a horse-drawn carriage, ate dinner at some place on maiden lane and then went dancing at the top of the mark. AND we got christmas presents from sephora. that 'boutique' PR firm is very much not still in business.