Monday, October 8, 2007

Chicken on a stick


San Francisco loves a street fair and yesterday's Castro Street Fair is definitely one of my favorites. Sadly, it usually marks the end of our summer, but it sure is a great way to celebrate!

I've developed an annual tradition of eating barbecued chicken on a stick while at the fair. Normally, I'm opposed to eating while walking, and I generally don't like eating sauce-covered things with my hands (so messy!), but Castro Street Fair chicken is my exception.

So yesterday, after I scarfed down a stick of chicken, we enjoyed the unusually hot weather at a house party nearby. It was a fun party and a good chance to get away from the crowds for a bit. But soon the call of the Fair became too irresistible and we made our way back among the masses (and the messes).

Another Castro Street Fair tradition seems to be staying put in one spot. Even though the fair covers several blocks, every year we seem to congregate in the same place - with easy access to cocktails! But it's a great way to spend the day, acting up with your friends and holding court while everyone walks by. Without having to move, I feel like I get to see all my friends from the neighborhood. Unlike last week's Folsom Street Fair, the Castro Street Fair really feels like a neighborhood event - and another reason I love San Francisco.

No comments: