Thursday, October 4, 2007

'89 was a good year


Yesterday, as I walked through the Northwestern University campus, on my way to the conference where I was speaking, I was struck by how young all the students looked. Then I realized that some of these kids (and I do mean kids) were only 18 years old. Meaning they were born in 1989!

Not only do I remember 1989, I remember loving many of the year's songs. And I do love them, even to this day. Here's a sampling:

"Eternal Flame" - Bangles
"Like a Prayer" - Madonna
"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - Poison
"My Prerogative" - Bobby Brown
"Lost in Your Eyes" - Debbie Gibson
"Forever Your Girl" - Paula Abdul
"Miss You Much" - Janet Jackson
"When I See You Smile" - Bad English
"Toy Soldiers" - Martika
"Right Here Waiting" - Richard Marx

Thinking about these songs brings back so many memories. Most of them involve swim meets and/or freezing cold swim practices. One might even involve a swim practice during the big earthquake - the one where I ended up being tossed out of the pool and onto the deck!

3 comments:

Gleemonex said...

Panda!!! baby, this here is a list of some of the best albums (yes we still called them that) of 1989 -- which was indeed a very good year:

Paul's Boutique (Beastie Boys)
Disintegration (The Cure)
Let Love Rule (Lenny Kravitz)
Pretty Hate Machine (NIN)
Bleach (Nirvana)
Doolittle (Pixies)
Full Moon Fever (Tom Petty)
Fear of a Black Planet (Public Enemy)
The Stone Roses (Stone Roses)
3 (Violent Femmes)

Panda!!!! said...

Gleemonex, those are indeed good - nay, GREAT - albums. You can see that my 1989 mindset was influenced pretty heavily by Casey Kasem...

Lena said...

It makes me feel rather old that I know all the words to all those songs, and probably all those albums too... My brain is full of lyrics from that era and unfortunately seems to not be able to hold much more. That book I just read? Gone. Movie I just saw? Nope. "Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you..." Summer camp? Like it was yesterday.