Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)


Like most mornings when I commute to The Corporation, I stood on the train, keeping to myself and quietly reading my newspaper. At one stop, I began to hear familiar-sounding music, the faint strains of ... New Kids On The Block? Is that "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)"? Um, I think it is!

So I peeked up from behind my paper and noticed a dirty man wearing disgusting rags, seated on the train with a battery-operated boom box in his hand. He was bopping along to the music and clutching an empty cassette case. It was clearly a mix tape that he loved dearly, because there he was, smiling his two-toothed grin and swaying along to the music.

When the song ended, he referred to the scribbles on his cassette case and he fast-forwarded to the next selection. I realized then that he was listening not to NKOTB, but to the original version by The Delfonics (thanks wikipedia) and that his mix tape seemed to have a uniting Mowtown theme.

At one point a group of loud passengers alighted the train and our homeless DJ decided that he'd just turn his music up and sing along. What a lovely way to begin my day!

No comments: