Friday, October 19, 2007

Book club: I have fifty-seven wives


Internets, I may be the slowest adult reader on the planet. After Boomcat recommended Under the Banner of Heaven to me approximately two months ago, I finally finished reading it the other night.

Overall, it was an interesting book and it nicely filled the void left by Big Love's season finale. I loved the parts that discussed Mormonism's origins and the craziness of fundamentalist sects that have broken off and formed communities of ass-backward families where people marry their siblings and men father dozens of children by dozens of plural wives.

The main narrative thread centers around Ron and Dan Lafferty, a pair of brothers who brutally murdered their sister-in-law and her infant daughter - all in the name of God. While it was interesting to read how they came to determine that they were compelled to do God's will by killing their own brother's wife and child, the parts that discussed their present-day sentencing was not as interesting to me.

Also not interesting were all the parts about wagon trains and battles with Native Americans. No matter how hard I try, stories about the wild wild west have never kept this panda's interest. No wonder I was no good at US History.

No comments: