Monday, March 2, 2009

The learning curve remains steep

Internets, I just returned from my first industry-related event for my relatively new company. All the other meetings I've been a part of focused on corporate social responsibility or sustainability, so I felt totally in my element. Today's event, however, was focused on information security, patient safety and electronic health records and man was I confused.

The event took place at the fancy shmancy Four Seasons Hotel, just a few blocks away, but I seriously considered dialing into the webcast since it's raining and it would be easier to sneak out unnoticed. But I decided that it would probably do me good to actually show up in person, get some face time with execs and take a quick walk (probably all the exercise I'll get today).

As expected, it was a stuffy event where I felt underdressed (no tie!) and underage. I sat through some speeches and presentations and understood very little of what was being said. At my old company, at least I understood the concepts being discussed at industry events (denim! sequins! bold patterns!). Here, however, I am totally lost when confronted with discussions of HIPAA implementation, connectivity solutions and prescriptive frameworks.

But at least I got to admire the Four Seasons and learned that, when it's time to start a meeting, it's best to hire a Chinese man to strike a handheld xylophone daintily as he walks through the meeting venue with a dazed expression on his face.

No comments: