Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wine and dine doom and gloom

So it appears out Corporate Procurement team receives many invitations from our vendors to gather with other companies and talk about stuff. Today, for example, I spent the day at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel at a "Thought Leadership Summit" with other clients of one of our vendors.

This was only my second meeting of this sort, but I'm starting to spot a trend. Typically, the meeting is filled with procurement managers, account reps and a smattering of professionals who are topical "experts."

So, like an awkward guest at a distant cousin's wedding, I found my table assignment and sat between two of our vendor's account directors. Their overly friendly, over-enthusiastic manner was a bit off-putting. They worried when my coffee cup was empty. They jumped to help me with a glass of water. They encouraged me to meet other company representatives. I'm sure they were well-meaning, but it all came across as fake and super-saccharine.

To my surprise, the guest speakers at today's event were actually quite interesting and well-informed. And unlike the last meeting, there seemed to be more people interested in sustainability. However, a day of environmental experts preaching how the world is doomed does not make for a very uplifting experience. And although I appreciate the expert warning I received, I feel utterly powerless to do anything about it!

No comments: