Monday, August 17, 2009

Hot summer babes

Puppy and I left the city yesterday to celebrate Shotgun's firstborn's third birthday. I don't remember the last time I attended a birthday party for a three-year-old, but I have a feeling it won't be the last, especially since all my friends seem to have just given birth!

We traveled only 40 minutes away, but the temperature was approximately 30 degrees hotter, well into triple-digits. I really didn't plan my outfit accordingly, so I was a sweaty mess, bedecked in jeans.

As expected, Shotgun prepared a wonderful assortment of food, which I eagerly consumed. The birthday boy was occupied with a new train set and apparently had learned to ride a bike earlier in the day. There were many parents and children of various ages in attendance, all enjoying the inflatable pool and the sandbox in the backyard. Most of the children were dressed more appropriately than I was - sporting diapers and little else.

Puppy and I had a riveting conversation with a four-year-old girl and her new five-year-old friend about pretend salads, bouquets, traveling on planes and birthday parties. When the urge to dress them both up in bejeweled gowns, apply tons of makeup to their faces, plop on fake hairpieces and enter them in beauty pageants hit me, I realized I probably watch too much Toddlers & Tiaras.

No comments: