Friday, January 25, 2008

Flu season

When I arrived at the gym this evening, Blanca asked why I was so early. Well, I left The Corporation early today because I couldn't do anymore work. I was completely paralyzed ... because my computer was kaput.

Earlier in the day, Mahogany Sparkle sent me a link, which I clicked on. Now, I realize that we're warned not to click on links and not to open attachments, but I like to defy authority and throw caution to the wind! Well, as soon as I clicked on the link, a little pop-up window appeared and announced that "a virus" had been detected in my system and it instructed me to call IT helpdesk immediately.

So, I dialed our helpdesk folk and they instructed me to disconnect from the network and they walked me through some diagnostic tests. Nothing worked, so they said someone would be by to take a look at the machine.

Well, there's not much you can do when your computer isn't plugged into the network. I worked on a document, but wasn't able to print. I cleaned my desk, filed some papers, attended some meetings and just gave up.

I can't tell you how helpless it feels to be disconnected from the world. No e-mail, no gchat, no bloggie. Nada. No one from our not-so-helpdesk ever arrived to help me, so I decided it was a sign from Jod that I should leave. And I did!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think I would feel very good if a giant donut made out of the monkeys from a "barrel of monkeys" attacked me, either.

Panda!!!! said...

There! Now it's a virus...

Mahogany Sparkle said...

oooOOOOOOOOOOPS!