Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hiring hell

One of the reasons I've been working crazy hours here at The Corporation is because there's an open headcount on my team. Thus, I've been reviewing resumes of a bunch of people who are interested in joining our department - some who are qualified, many who are not.

One applicant actually approached me several months ago after I spoke at an event and requested an informational interview to learn more about our work. As an obliging panda, I scheduled time to speak with him and realized that he seemed adrift on his career aspirations. He wasn't sure how to demonstrate how his skills and experiences could contribute to a company's efforts so I bid him good luck. And good riddance.

A few months later, this same individual contacted me with the good news that he landed a job, but wanted to learn different salary ranges for similar positions. I was reluctant to give him any information I had, so he let me be.

Well, I guess he either didn't accept that position or he is dissatisfied because he contacted me with the "good" news that he's applying for my open position. Little does he realize that his haranguing and his inability to explain why he would be an asset has put me in the position of completely dismissing his candidacy.

Kids, if you're going to send Panda!!!! your resume, make sure you can back up your qualifications!

No comments: