Thursday, January 31, 2008

Gotta eat

I'm intrigued by Lupe Fiasco's new album, mostly because one song is apparently written from the perspective of a cheeseburger. I do love his song "Superstar" and I'm tickled by the idea that he'll be touring with Rihanna and Kanye West this summer.

But really, who anthropomorphizes a cheeseburger on a rap album? I guess Lupe. Here's an excerpt from an interview:

And you've written a song from the point of view of a cheeseburger. How does that work?
"Well, I wrote a song called 'Gotta Eat' to try and talk about health in a cool way. I made the cheeseburger into this mafia boss who has a vendetta against humanity, which is to make sure everyone dies of a heart attack. It's all very satirical - the cheeseburger goes to church, but the church is a Chicken Shack, and the friar is actually a deep fat fryer."

So you've done it in quite a humorous way?
"Yes, but it's got a serious message though. In my neighbourhood there are no food stores and there's no attention to nutrition. If you look back at what you've eaten over the month, you're like 'Damn! All I've eaten is cheeseburgers and pizzas!'"

Not many people would think to tackle the obesity issue by writing a song about a cheeseburger. Do you enjoy trying to present difficult issues in quirky, original ways?
"I just love satire. A lot of satire's very funny, but a lot of it's very dark too. When I find a subject I want to write about, I do tend to think 'How can I present it in an entertaining way?', and that's how the cheeseburger song came about. I like a challenge!"

No comments: