Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Career counseling

Last night I had dinner with Charlotte York, one of my former colleagues at The Corporation. She has since moved on to bigger and better things at one of the city's hot companies, but one that apparently has a crazed environment thanks to its entrepreneurial nature.

Charlotte York and I used to sit next to each other and she really was someone whose advice and perspective I truly valued. She's an incredibly articulate, intelligent, humorous friend and I love the times when we are able to meet and catch up.

During our last few meetings, most of our discussion surrounds life at The Corporation and her hearty encouragement that I seek employment elsewhere. I agree with her that my professional life remains unfulfilling on a micro level, but it's difficult to find employment in an area where I feel like I am having a positive impact on society on a macro level. I fear I sound like a broken record when we get together because I tend to complain about all the crap that goes on in our department. But she's one of the few people who can really relate to what I'm talking about.

In any case, I always walk away with some fresh ideas of what my next professional step should be. I only need her to continue to give me the kick in the pants that I seem to need!

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

Please don't leave. Please don't leave. Please don't leave.

Panda!!!! said...

I don't really think I'm in danger of leaving - I just like daydreaming!