Saturday, February 16, 2008

Undeclared

Sometimes I like to fib about my life, like on New Year's Eve when Blanca and I convinced a drunk old man that we were anthropology majors at Cal. Similarly, the other night, a little man engaged me in conversation, which somehow led to him asking my college major.

"Physical therapy," I replied.

He asked me what I did for a living and I told him that I worked retail. Not an outright lie, but I followed up by saying, "I'm one of those people who doesn't use their majors in daily life. What did you major in?"

He responded, "Poli Sci."

"Oh!" I enthused, "so you got to study shapes and stuff. Like rectangles and triangles and things like that?"

He looked at me with a puzzled expression and said, "No, I studied international political relations. Poli Sci."

"Oh, that sounds hard. I thought you said polygons." I continued, "I think I like the word 'rhombus.'"

2 comments:

polislag said...

"Poli sci"...often confused with both "Polygon" and also, "Poli slag"

Gleemonex said...

You. Are. HILARIOUS!