Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Doubles

Throughout most of high school and college, I endured "doubles" - that is, working out twice a day. I'd wake up at an ungodly hour, lift weights and swim, go to school, return to the pool for "dryland" exercises and more swimming, then return home to study and do homework.

For a brief period in 2002, I returned to the world of doubles when some co-workers and I would meet to run a few miles before work and I would return to the gym after to lift.

I sort of thought that life was behind me. And it mostly is. But I surprised myself this morning and woke up early and hit the gym. I wasn't able to finish a full workout, but I know that I'll be on a conference call at The Corporation until relatively late tonight so I figured I'd wrap up my workout afterwards.

But this morning marked the first time in a long time that I went to my old gym. The one by my home and not by my office. I'd forgotten how beat up the equipment is, how dirty the surroundings are and how tiny the layout is. I'd call it an unpleasant experience, but I actually think I get a better workout at the old gym. Something about the layout and the equipment forces me to concentrate harder and I think the different machines may be more beneficial to me. I think I may have to split my time more evenly between the two gym options.

No comments: