Sunday, April 20, 2008

Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can't lose.

Panda!!!! isn't really a football fan, so when Friday Night Lights premiered on television last season, I wasn't so interested. But after friends like Selives and Gleemonex insisted that it was a show I'd love, and after I found myself on the outs regarding several 'tween pop culture references, I decided to give it a shot.

During this homebound weekend, I've worked through about one-third of the first season and I'm totes hooked. Inevitably, I'm comparing the show to my own high school days, but my memories are not as football-centric (I think I attended a half-dozen football games total during my high school days), not as filled with pretty people (Minka Kelly plays one impossibly foxy high schooler, but was she held back about 10 times?) and not as gritty.

But until this weekend, I had no idea that the pancake supper as fundraiser was a universal high school event! How very interesting.

1 comment:

Gleemonex said...

Pancake suppers, Taco Night, car washes, Senior Lip Synch, Service Auction (known as Slave Day till 1988), Powder Puff, Booster BBQ, you name it, I've worked it. That show is so true to my high school experience (small-town football-obsessed Texas; bro was on the team, sis was head cheerleader, even I was in pep squad for awhile) that it gives me the fantods. But even minus the football, it does get high school right, don't it? Glad to have you aboard the Obsesh Train, Panda!!!.