Tuesday, April 1, 2008

More on the office

I'm back in our Delhi office this morning and have been collecting several more observations about differences between cubicle life here and cubicle life in SF.

Here in Delhi, several men go around serving tea, coffee and water. They're dressed in black slacks, a white button-down and a black vest. It's like having waiters in the office. Each time I've arrived, our Director has asked me if I wanted anything to drink. He then summons a waiter to fulfill my order and he says to me, "if you want anything, just call one of the boys."

I've also noticed signs for "karaoke lunch hour" around the office. Apparently, once a month the office breaks out the karaoke machine in the cafe and employees can take turns belting out their favorite tunes. One of our team members is a huge fan and sang an amazing rendition of a Hindi song during the last karaoke event.

Singing and performing are not confined to the occasional karaoke happy hour, however. Apparently, during the office holiday party, groups of employees performed musical numbers that they'd worked on for weeks. Most were Hindi pop songs, but I understand there was some Pink Floyd and Michael Jackson thrown into the mix as well.

Today I've been informed that our team is ordering Chinese food. They want Panda!!!!'s expert opinion on whether or not Indian style Chinese take out is authentic.

No comments: