Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Let's listen to her and get romantic

I just spent the day with one of our Indian social and environmental compliance auditors. Basically, these are the individuals who visit The Corporation's contract factories and make sure workers are treated well, paid a fair wage, aren't discriminated against and a host of other things. Basically, they work to help factories conduct business in an ethical and responsible manner.

Throughout the day my colleague asked me if I liked certain bands or musical artists, and inevitably, they would be artists whose heyday was in the 80s. The first group he asked me about was Heart (love!) and proceeded to play These Dreams. Later it was Circle in the Sand by Belinda Carlisle, Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham! and some song I didn't recognize by A-Ha.

I couldn't tell if Indian pop music is simply obsessed by Western 80s hits or if it was this fellow's personal taste. The English radio station played everything from Pink Floyd to Rihanna to 50 Cent to Paula Abdul to Wham!

Despite all those fine musical moments, my favorite part had to be when he put in No Ordinary Love and asked me if I liked Sade. When I said I did, he responded, "Let's listen to her and get romantic." But the best part was that the singer was definitely not Sade. It was some lady covering a Sade song!

2 comments:

polislag said...

Heart! The daughter of one of the Heart singers goes to my elementary school now...just fyil.

jboogie said...

Moon of the red eye, mooooooon of the red eyyyyyye.