Saturday, April 5, 2008

H2O polo

Yesterday, an e-mail went out to our entire Delhi office encouraging employees to join The Corporation's team in a local water polo tournament. Since the tournament is today, it's clear that the team has not had an opportunity to practice and my co-workers let me know that only five people from the office agreed to play.

Since Panda!!!! was a competitive swimmer in a past life, my teammates encouraged me to join the team. But it's been a long time since I've even been in a pool and much longer since I've touched a water polo ball. Also, since I had some sightseeing planned for today, I declined.

The tournament is being held in the pool at my hotel (Sadly, I cannot lie out by the pool today) so I checked out the action. The tournament attracted nearly 30 teams, but I couldn'd identify anyone from The Corporation (After all, I know fewer than 10 people from the office.). I took a look at the tournament brackets posted on whiteboards and saw that teams had created names such as "The Floaters," "Juggernaut," "Gracious Welcome," "The Fighters," "Making My Trip 1" and "Global." How ferocious!

The tournament seems to have some corporate sponsors including Smirnoff Vodka, which was pouring cocktails to the thirsty players and some yogurt-type drink. Had I known the tournament was code for a poolside cocktail party, I would have registered to play!

No comments: