Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hindi pop

Since I've been in India for more than one week, I think it's safe to say that I'm an expert on Indian pop culture. I've watched my fair share of Indian MTV and some other music video channel called B4U Music. This is in addition to the English language entertainment channel (General Hospital episodes from 2004, Heroes episodes from 2007, episodes of The Office from 2006, Full House circa 1987, season 3 of The O.C., American Idol from 2008!) that I've watched while trying to wake up, get to sleep or catch up on work for The Corporation.

Indian music videos are pretty amazing. They all seem to feature muscle-bound guys singing and doing cheesy dance moves while 20 scantily-clad lasses gyrate behind him and one special one responds to his musical pleading. Of course I can't understand anything that these videos say, but I doubt they're singing about anything too significant.

It may be interesting to note that I haven't heard any ballads or songs in English and all of the videos are dance videos.

No comments: